If Qatar are to reach the knockout rounds, they will need big performances from some key players. Boulem Khoukhi, a defender with 20 goals for his country, is one of those, as is captain Hassan Al-Haydos, who has over 160 international caps. Can the hosts perform on home soil? Bet on Qatar at the 2022 World Cup with BetVictor.
Alongside Khoukhi and Al-Haydos, there are many other key players in the Qatar national football team. The most important member of their squad is arguably Al-Duhail striker Almoez Ali. He was the star man as The Maroon won the 2019 Asian Cup, scoring a record nine goals in five matches. Overall, the 26-year-old has an impressive 40 goals in 83 appearances for Qatar.
At the other end of the pitch, Abdelkarim Hassan is vital for the Qataris. The left-back is very experienced at international level, having made his debut in 2010 and racked up 125 appearances. He also has an eye for goal and has netted 15 times for his country. Like Ali, Abdelkarim was part of the 2019 Asian Cup winning squad, and his impressive performances earned him a spot in the Team of the Tournament.
Finally, a lot could depend on the performances of first-choice goalkeeper Saad Al Sheeb. The Al Sadd shot-stopper has been crucial for his country since making his debut in 2009, helping them win the Gulf Cup and WAFF Championship in 2014 and the 2019 Asian Cup, where he won the Golden Glove.
Qatar Football Team Results
Since being awarded the World Cup in 2010, Qatar’s results have been steadily improving. In the following 12 years, they have played in several major tournaments, beaten nations with richer footballing histories and even clinched silverware.
Below is a timeline of some of the Qatar football team’s highlights since being named 2022 World Cup hosts.
- 2014 Gulf Cup champions – This was Qatar’s first Gulf Cup title in ten years. They secured the title with a 2-1 win against Saudi Arabia in the final.
- 2018 friendly wins – In October and November 2018, the Asian side secured two impressive friendly wins. The first was a 4-3 success against Ecuador – who they play in the group stage at the 2022 World Cup. They then went on to beat Switzerland 1-0 in Lugano.
- 2019 Asian Cup champions – Qatar won this title for the first time with a perfect record of seven wins in seven games. They conceded just one goal and defeated South Korea and Japan.
- 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup semi-finalists – On their Gold Cup debut, The Maroon went all the way to the last four. After drawing with Panama, they beat Grenada and Honduras in the group stage and secured a 3-2 win against El Salvador in the quarter-finals.
- 2021 winless run – Between July and November 2021, Qatar endured an eight-match winless run. During this period, they suffered heavy defeats against Serbia, Portugal and the Republic of Ireland.
BeGambleAware.org | +18 | Please Gamble Responsibly